It’s amazing how things change, but now that I have kids, I have a lot more fun getting in to every holiday. I enjoy decorating in and around our home and like to change things out often, so this DIY St. Patrick’s Day decor was perfect to add a little holiday fun in our house. It was amazing how easy it was and was a fun craft for me to do!
How to Make This DIY St. Patrick’s Day Decor
The paint color I used is called Scottish Highlands.
And one BIG note about these materials. It took me about 500 thumbtacks to make this craft. I actually had to make a 2nd trip to the store because I totally underestimated the amount I’d need. If it hadn’t been for the need to go back to the store, I could have finished the project in about 2 hours, tops.
1. Using your painter’s tape, create lines on the canvas like I’ve done here.
I actually just eyeballed these stripes because I am not a perfectionist and I didn’t want this part to take forever.
2. I used my paint and sponge brush to paint the green paint on to the canvas. After giving it about 30 minutes to dry, I peeled the painter’s tape off to reveal my pretty green stripes.
3. To clean up the stripes, I used a white paint and a small paintbrush to cover up the places where the green paint accidentally got under the painter’s tape.
4. I used this shamrock image, saved it to my computer and brought it over to a blank document where I could blow it up. I printed it, cut it out, and used a pencil to trace the pattern on to my canvas.
5. I went to town with my thumbtacks, starting with the outline of the image.
6. The important thing to remember when you’re putting these thumbtacks in is to make sure you overlap them, otherwise you will have parts of the canvas peeking through.
7. Continue working around from the outside in. When you get around the outside of the canvas, you may have to actually use a hammer to get those in.
8. After you’ve got it all filled in, take a moment to enjoy your creation. I sure did.
This is the first step in my St. Patrick’s Day mantel I can’t wait to finish up and share with you!
If you like this St. Patrick’s Day DIY craft, I’d love for you to give it a pin! Thanks for stopping by today, friends! Visit Jamie Roubinek’s profile on Pinterest.