He’s here!!!

0 Flares Twitter 0 Facebook 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 0 StumbleUpon 0 Buffer 0 Filament.io 0 Flares ×

Langston Peck Wayne Roubinek
Sunday, June 7, 2009
1:32 in the afternoon
7 pounds 10 ounces
20 inches


Sunday afternoon, Jeff, the kids, and I were getting ready to go to E’s baseball game when I told Jeff that I had had quite a few contractions that day and they were a little more than normal.  We left for the baseball game and the contractions continued.  When we got home, I decided that I wanted to do something that involved walking and activity.  I headed to the grocery store and 2 hours later, I got home and told Jeff that the contractions had started to become pretty painful.  Jeff suggested that I sit down and relax to see if they continued.

As I sat down and opened up the computer, I noticed that I wasn’t having contractions anymore, so I gave up on the idea of going into labor that night.  I laid down on the couch and fell asleep for a few hours.  My mom called to check on me at midnight and I told her that nothing was going to happen that night.

Immediately after I got off of the phone with her, the contractions started up again.  Because they were heavy and seemed to be close together, Jeff started timing them for me.  We timed them until 2:30 and they were much heavier than I had experienced before.  I called my mom back and told her that I thought “this” might be “it”, but I was really nervous to go to the hospital because I didn’t want to get sent home again.  She offered to come to our house and sit with me to help me decide if/when it would be time to go to the hospital.

She got to the house at about 3:30.  We continued to time the contractions, which were getting harder and closer together.  We eventually went walking down the street together with Rusty.  After getting back from our walk, I woke Jeff up and told him it was definitely time to go.  By the time we got to the hospital, it was 6:00.  I was immediately put into a labor and delivery room and assigned a nurse.  They started an IV on me and got us all set up in the room.  The nurse checked me and said I was dilated to a 4.  I knew things had to have changed, but I had no idea how far along I might have been.  They told me that I would be staying this time and that we were going to be having a baby today.  I couldn’t hide the huge smile on my face and neither could Jeff or my mom.

After a while, contractions got heavier, but then started to die out.  I had progressed to a 5, but since contractions had started to slow down, they decided to start me on pitocin.  This increased my contractions and made them pretty steady and hard.  My pain level went up a LOT.  I had intended to go through labor without any medication, but I decided at that point to go ahead and get some medicine to take the edge off.  They gave me Stadol and it helped a LOT.  I don’t know how it happened, but something set me off and I started laughing.  I started laughing so much that I had tears in my eyes and I was laughing at the fact that I was having a contraction and could barely feel it.  Jeff started taking a video of me with his phone because I was acting so silly.  That stuff was great, but the contractions continued and got harder while the Stadol began to wear off.  They did not check me for a while, but all of a sudden, the contractions got unbearable.  I wanted to come out of the bed and the thought of trying to get my body to relax was impossible.  My mom and Jeff were both doing everything they could to help me get through every contraction.  This is one of my favorite pictures of Jeff trying to coach me through a contraction.  He and my mom were both such amazing support for me.

Langston was definitely moving down and I could feel every bit of it.  I couldn’t handle the pain anymore and I just wanted it to stop.  The nurse asked me if I wanted to do an epidural and I looked at Jeff and my mom and said, “I can’t do it anymore.  I’m sorry.”  Jeff looked at me and said, “I want you to do whatever makes you more comfortable.  It’s so hard for me to see you in this kind of pain.”  By this point, the nurse had checked me again and I was at a 7.
Immediately, the anesthesiologist was in my room and I was on the edge of the bed getting prepped.  After getting the epidural, the contractions were not as hard but I could still feel them.  After getting the epi, Jeff decided to go to the lobby and update everyone on where we were at.  Right after he left, I got some pretty big contractions that I could still feel and the nurse checked again.  I had advanced to an 8.  I sent Jeff a text msg right away to tell him I was at an 8 so he knew not to stay gone long.  Not long after that, the anesthesiologists gave me something else since I was advancing pretty quickly and was still feeling contractions.  The next thing I knew, the nurse was telling me that she was going to call the dr because I had progressed to a 9 and a half.  My mom ran out of the room to go get Jeff from the lobby.
Luckily he was in a wheel chair, so she grabbed him, told him what was going on, and then began running back down the hall as she pushed him.  I wish I could have seen that happen.  I’m sure it looked pretty funny.
As soon as we got there, the nurse started asking me to push to see how hard it was going to be
She then decided to go check on the status of the doctor.  This picture was taken as the nurse was out of the room.  Jeff was telling me how proud he was.

As he came in, the nurse moved to my left, Jeff was on my right, and Mom stepped back out of the way.  I don’t know how long I pushed, but it didn’t seem like very long before the little man was out.  I didn’t know what was going on, but when I saw my mom take a deep breath and cover her mouth with her hands, I knew that Langston was on his way out.
As he came out, they put him on my chest and Jeff and I both cried at the sight of him.  He started crying and it was the most beautiful sound I had ever heard.  I just wanted him to keep crying and keep crying.  He scored a 9 on his Apgar because he came out blue.  Thankfully, though, that didn’t last long.

It was such an amazing experience and I would do it all over again.  I really wanted to go all natural, but I have no regrets in the decision I made.  I went as far as I could and I’m still proud that I got to a 7 without an epidural.  Jeff, our family, and I, are so blessed to have this new arrival that we have waited for for the past nine months.  He is a precious little thing and has an amazing head of hair!  I hope it doesn’t fall out.  It’s at least an inch and a half long and it’s dark black.
I can’t believe I am a mom now, and how much I can’t get enough of him.  I’m head over heels in love with him.
This post is linked to Labor Day Link Up on The Finer Things in Life.

Visit Jamie Roubinek’s profile on Pinterest.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  1. Jeff and Megan says:

    I am so proud of you!! Congratulations to you and Jeff! It is the best experience ever! You will love each other so much more than you ever thought you could!

    I love that hair! So precious!!

  2. Thanks for sharing your story…he's beautiful!

  3. Kristin (kekis) says:

    The pictures were precious on my phone, but that little boy looks even cuter in larger photos! :) All that hair is amazing! Your story was wonderfully written. I could picture the looks on your mom's face as she ran Jeff down the hall and first saw Langston.

    Get settled at home & I'll come visit soon. Langston has a little something from his Miss Kristin.

  4. Wiest Momma says:

    Congratulations! He's adorable.

  5. What a great birth story! You did awesome holding out until you were 7 cm! Congratulations, he's absolutely beautiful. It's so indescribable the love you feel for your child, isn't it… definitely something only a mommy understands! :)

  6. Mabe Babe Blog says:

    You do not know me but I have been following your blog for about a year now through Megan Smith. She and I are friends from h.school. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you congratulations and that I am so HAPPY for you. I have followed your strugles and your pregnancy very closely and prayed a lot for you a healthy and happy baby. Enjoy him, there is nothing like it in the world.

  7. Amanda and Anthony says:

    Congratulations! He is perfect! And the pics of you and Jeff are so sweet!

  8. The Jones' says:

    He is so precious! I know I would do it over and over again too… it's truly amazing.

  9. Himee… I am so proud of you and Jeff. He is so beautiful and I know that you both will be the most wonderful parents to him. Love you and kiss that baby for me!!

  10. Josh and Leilani says:

    I love your story and thanks for sharing it. The pics of you and Jeff are so sweet….brought tears to my eyes and Langston is one handsome little guy! Hopefully we'll get the our group together soon after my baby girl gets here. Lauren's always up for lunch!

  11. The Barner Bunch says:

    Rock on sister! That epi makes everything so much better (and enjoyable).
    You did a GREAT job, and that baby boy is precious!!!
    Congrats! I'm so happy he is finally here!


  1. […] for women to link up their birth stories.  I only have one birth story and I thought since I have a post about Langston’s birth, I might as well link up.  There are many other birth stories to read and I always find the […]

  2. […] Langston was born, he was delivered by the on call doctor because it was a Sunday and my doctor was not on call that […]

  3. […] The day you entered our lives is a day I will never forget. […]

Speak Your Mind


CommentLuv badge