When I was growing up, we had a neighbor right up the street from us who was a mean cook. Joy always spoiled us with her delicious recipes and I’ll never forget the first time my family and I sat down at the dinner table with Joy and her husband to enjoy this delicious chicken spaghetti recipe. We ALL loved it!
For some reason, this recipe has stuck with me and become one of my favorite recipes in my recipe book. Joy passed away 15 years ago, but I feel like I’ve carried on her memory a little more every time I prepare this recipe. It’s my go to dish for new moms and their families, and I’ve had many requests for the recipe from those moms.
My husband has quite the sad face when he sees me making it but knows it’s headed out the door to a family with a new baby. It’s become a favorite around my dinner table, as well. I love hearing even our 14 year old get excited when she knows this chicken spaghetti recipe is on the menu for the evening.
- 2 to 3 cups cooked, cut up chicken
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can chicken broth (use soup can to measure)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (4 oz) jar pimentos
- 1 (8 oz) pkg cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (16 oz) pkg thin spaghetti
- 1. Break spaghetti into thirds, cook, rinse, and drain.
- 2. In large bowl combine pimento, soup, broth, chicken, spaghetti, salt and pepper.
- 3. In skillet saute in bell pepper and onion in butter.
- 4. Add to spaghetti mixture.
- 5. Grease casserole dish.
- 6. Pour 1/2 mixture in pan.
- 7. Layer with cheese, reserving 1 cup cheese on top.
- 8. Pour remaining spaghetti mixture on top of cheese and top with remaining cheese.
- 9. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
I can only hope this chicken spaghetti is a fond memory for my own children when they’ve left home.