Many thanks to General Mills and Usher for sponsoring today’s post and sharing their happiness and positivity with us!
I’ve never been known as a morning person, but I’ve tried my darndest (is that a word?) over the past few years, but more specifically since I became a mom over 5 years ago. I have a love obsession with sleep and prefer to stay in bed as long as possible but I also hate when it feels like I’ve wasted the day away getting those beloved zzzz’s.
No matter how late I sleep, I still look forward to my coffee and breakfast. Let’s be honest. I look forward to my morning coffee before I even go to bed the night before. I wish I could say that my mornings are always smooth sailing with my family and that coffee and breakfast are a grand experience around the table with my sweet and well-mannered children.
We’ve had some rough mornings in our past and I feel like I’m just now getting a handle on what our mornings should look like. It doesn’t mean they DO look like they should, it’s just that I’m getting a handle on what my kids are capable of and they structure and routine they crave. Because I’ve been in that morning rut and have now come out on the other side, I wanted to share these 5 tips that have helped our family get a jumpstart on the morning.
1. Get up before your kids. I really had no idea how important this was until I found myself cleaning up cake batter out of the carpet of my boys’ bedrooms and fudge icing off of their walls. I made a promise to myself that I’d make myself wake up before them and be ready to greet them when they woke up. Not only that, but when I use them as my alarm clock, I’m grumpy and not fully awake before they start asking me 500 times for breakfast. Those mornings, I usually end up snapping at them. Not fun.
2. Since you’re up before them, get a workout in! A few months ago, I started attending a boot camp 3 mornings a week at 5:30. Ridiculously early? Yes! But with a house full of kids to take care of, working out while they sleep seems to be the only option and my energy is GONE by the end of the day when their daddy walks through the door. I’ve found myself more energized, focused, and motivated when I make the effort to get up early and get my heart rate up for that hour.
3. Plan breakfast out. I’m sure your mornings are as hectic and crazy as ours are, right?!? It’s nice when I can go to the kitchen and know exactly what I’m making for these little people. After all, time is precious. There’s no time to stand at the pantry or with the fridge door open wondering what I can feed them.
4. Keep it healthy. We’re not the healthiest eating family but I like to think we try. My kids love eating cereal for breakfast and I’m perfectly fine with that, you know, as long as it’s not full of sugar! I grew up eating Honey Nut Cheerios for breakfast, literally everyday! I’m sure it’s no surprise that Cheerios were one of the first snacks I fed my little ones when they were babies. Now, they’re happy to have a bowl of it before they head off to school.
5. Make them think of something fun and positive before they leave you for the day! As a mom, I have really tried to make it a priority not to let my kids leave me thinking I’m mad or upset with them. I really feel like it can carry over to their school day and that’s the last thing I want. Even when we’re in a rush, and the kids and I are going at different speeds, leaving me so annoyed, I try to make sure we have something to smile at before they are off for the day.
Usher and Honey Nut Cheerios are making that so easy for us! Did you know that you can free download of Usher’s exclusive song, “Clueless,” on the inside of each participating Honey Nut Cheerios box? This song is not available on Usher’s new album release and can’t be purchased anywhere else. Take a look at the cute video and preview of the song here. It’s definitely the best way to get your family moving and smiling in the morning. What better way to jump start your day?!
What tips have you found to work for your family when it comes to jump starting your morning?