Most days I feel like my kids are asking for snacks all day long. I know I’m not the only one looking forward to school starting but for me, the main reason is because I know my kids will be busy and not thinking about their next snacking opportunity! Some days it feels like I’m in the kitchen all day long preparing meals or snacks for them. Because of this, I’m always on the lookout for fun and healthy snack options and with a little help from our sponsor California Raisins, I was so excited to whip up this Honey Nut Raisin Snack Mix for my kids.
Last week, I had the opportunity to attend a local blogger event hosted by California Raisins to talk about fun and nutritious snack ideas for back-to-school. Because they are so convenient and portable, California Raisins are the perfect choice for wholesome on-the-go snacking. We’re a busy family of 7, so on-the-go is in our vocabulary DAILY! I’m always a big fan of dried fruit for snacks, but did you know raisins are the MOST economical dried fruit, according to the USDA?
We had quite the spread of fun snacks topped off with raisins and it was delicious!
Raisins have always been a favorite healthy snack of mine. I love to eat them by themselves after a workout and just when I’m looking for something a little sweet but don’t want to dip in to something unhealthy and full of sugar. One of my boys loves to eat them by themselves and we often share our raisin snacks together.
My kids love sweet snacks. Let’s be honest. I love sweet snacks, too! But, usually, those sweet snacks are not the healthiest option for what goes in to their little bodies. That’s why I’m so glad California Raisins come by their sweetness naturally. In addition to zero fat and no cholesterol, there’s no added sugar! Raisins also offer 9% of your daily fiber and potassium, and 6% of your daily iron (per quarter cup serving).
As an added bonus, research also suggests that among children, raisins as an after-school snack may prevent excessive caloric intake and increase satiety (or feeling full) when compared to snacks like chips or cookies.
I couldn’t wait to get home and try out one of the recipes from California Raisins for my own family! This Honey Nut Raisin Snack Mix was a hit with my family!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups brown crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup rolled gluten-free oats
- 2 cups California raisins
- 1/2 cup California golden raisins
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add honey, almond butter and cinnamon and bring to a full boil.
- Let boil for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in cereal, almonds and oats.
- Spread 1-inch thick on a baking sheet then separate into 1-inch clusters.
- Let cool completely then stir in raisins.
- Store in an airtight container.
- For crunchy clusters, spread cooked mixture 1-inch thick on prepared baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir to form clusters and let cool completely. Stir in raisins.
So tell me? How do you like to enjoy your raisins?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of California Raisins.